SUBMITTING A MANUSCRIPT
(FOR A BOOK)
A. READ THESE AIGNOS' FAQs FIRST:
1. Aignos Publishing, an imprint of Savant Books and Publications, will only consider digital manuscripts in the form of a complete Manuscript Submission Package (MSP). Aignos does not accept or read partial MSP's, partial submissions, partial manuscripts, or manuscripts-in-progress. Aignos publishes softcover, perfect-bound books, which, dictated by sales, will later be released as eBooks, audiobooks and/or aBooks. Aignos publishes "avant garde, experimental and inventive works that 'push the leading edge' in any genre of fiction and non-fiction." We do not, however, accept works of gratuitous violence or sex. AIGNOS IS A "PRODUCTION" PUBLISHING HOUSE, NOT A SELF-PUBLICATION HOUSE, VANITY PUBLISHER OR CUSTOM PRINTER.
2. Aignos is fee-free. We do not charge authors any pre-publication fees for copyright, ISBN, bar codes, editing, cover design, polishing, proofreading or publicity/marketing devices or plans. Likewise, Aignos does not issue advances on royalties.
3. Aignos is a royalty-paying publisher. Aignos authors are issued a written contract and paid a royalty on net title sales. It is the primary author's responsibility to take care of any co-author, illustrator, or literary agent fees. Aignos authors retain copyright to the work, and license Savant/Aignos the exclusive right to publish the work in English worldwide and to bargain on behalf of Aignos and the author for rights to "spin-offs" such as plays, television shows or movies.
4. Aignos was created by and for authors. The author and Savant/Aignos staff will, together, progress the manuscript through editing, layup, polishing, cover-design, proofing, publicity, marketing, distribution, sales and fulfillment. In return, we expect Aignos authors to take a strong, proactive role in publicizing their author name and book title, as well as publicizing, marketing and selling their work. This includes doing specified emailings (we tell you when and how), participating in monthly Savant/Aignos chats, maintaining author and book websites with blogs, participating on select social media sites, doing public appearances and hosting regular author/book release parties. If you don't plan to do the above, don't submit an MSP.
5. If contracted, authors must provide Aignos Publishing a valid U. S. Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you can't obtain one, we can't pay you royalties.
6. Contracted authors are assigned a professional editor. The author and editor work together as a team at no expense to the author to move the manuscript from author-centric to AP reader-centric. This takes, on the average six months. If you are not willing to extensively digitally edit your work with a professional editor, are not willing to accept changes to your manuscript, or are not willing to honor Aignos format (see above), do not submit an MSP. Aignos is NOT a self-publisher, custom or vanity press; do not submit an MSP if you are planning to self-publish your work.
7. Contracted authors, after editing, polish their works together with their editor and the shared Savant/Aignos Editor-in-Chief. There is no charge to the author for this. Polishing takes, on the average three months. If you are not willing to polish your edited work until it's "perfect" with an editor and our Editor-in-Chief, or accept editor, Editor-in-Chief and/or publisher suggested changes to the interior and cover, do not submit an MSP.
8. Aignos provides professional layup and cover design free-of-charge to authors. In general, authors are encouraged to create a unique cover image; our cover artists take into consideration all author cover suggestions.
9. Once approved and assembled, a whole-book proof is sent to a professional book proofreader for final proofing at no cost to the author. This takes, on the average, one additional month. If you are not interested in having your book professionally proofread, or are not willing to accept, without reservation, our trained proofreader-recommended changes to the cover and interior, do not submit an MSP.
10. The parent company, Savant Books and Publications, designs and provides for each author a two-year, tailored, Publicity and Marketing Plan (P&MP) at no charge to the author. P&MP's commonly include a professionally created press release, YouTube teaser, author/book synopsis and summary, three excerpts, book review copies, suggestions for author and book release parties, radio/TV appearances, podcasts, world-wide distribution, and publicity recommendations at no charge to the author. They will be professionally edited, polished and proofed not unlike the work together by the author, editor, cover artist, Editor-in-Chief, Director of Publicity and Marketing and Publisher. The change from writer to author involves not only the above, but also the willingness to "shamelessly promote your author name and works." Aignos authors are expected to follow their specific P&MP in order to publicize and market themselves and their work. If this does not appeal to you, do not submit an MSP.
11. Printing is done on-demand. Except for single or multi-author poetry anthologies, Aignos does not require authors to purchase any minimum number of books. Instead, we provide authors with five complementary publicity copies of their published work, and offer author's the ability to purchase their works in lots of ten (10) books at 50% off the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) for personal publicity, consignment sales, and author sales at appearances and book-signings. This special price includes book-rate shipping anywhere within the USA including Hawaii and Alaska. NOTE: Aignos requires authors of single or multi-poet poetry anthologies to purchase 100 copies of their work upon publication at the above author price.
12. Aignos publishes a work first as a softcover book, and, sales warranting, will reissue the work after one year as an eBook with machine-read audiobook capability at no charge to the author. Aignos may additionally reissue the work as a conventional audiobook, aBook or in other formats as indicated at no charge to the author.
13. Aignos publications are listed on and available for purchase at the Savant/Aignos Publishers' Store, Savant Bookstores, Amazon.com, Amazon Kindle, affiliated and feeder online book sales channels, as well as at interested independent bookstores throughout the world. Aignos books are distributed worldwide through Savant Distribution, Amazon Extended Distribution, Ingram and numerous other sub-distributors.
14. Savant Books and Publications and Aignos Publishing are jointly headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, and are U. S. publishers. Royalties and contract payments are subject to the tax laws of the United States of America.
B. ADJUST YOUR MANUSCRIPT SO IT MEETS ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
General Formatting - All manuscripts must be in either Microsoft Word (.doc), Open Office (.docx), Apple Pages (.pages) or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Do not send manuscript submissions in any other format. NOTE: If your manuscript is accepted, you will will work with a professional editor using Microsoft Word's (.doc) "review tracking" feature. so be sure your word processing program has this feature and you know how to use it. If you don't know how, check out:
Special Formatting - All manuscripts must also:
Have ONE-INCH MARGINS at top, bottom, left and right sides;
Use solid black, regular, 12-point, Times New Roman font;
Use regular, italics (i.e. oblique style), non-smart quotes ("), and/or non-smart half-quotes and apostrophes (') only - ALL OTHER EMBELLISHMENTS MUST BE REMOVED;
Be LEFT-JUSTIFIED only (do NOT right or left-and-right justify);
Be ALL DOUBLE-SPACED;
Have THREE hard returns before a chapter heading and TWO hard returns after it;
Have ONE hard return at the end of each paragraph (do not insert an extra blank line);
Use a ONE-INCH auto-indent at the start of each paragraph;
Include TWO spaces after all terminal punctuation;
Use space-hypen-hypen-space ( -- ) for dashes;
Use three periods without spaces (...) for ellipses wherever dialog is interrupted;
Employ words, phrases, sentences and/or paragraphs rather than visual devices for all time/location transitions;
Use CONTINUOUS LINE-WRAPPING within paragraphs;
INDICATE PAGES (e.g. AUTHOR'S LAST NAME - PAGE 2 OF 42) at the top of each page in a header
NOTE: We always favor narration (non-dialog) written in third-person, past-tense. We do not look as favorably on narration written in first-person and/or present-tense.
NO OTHER EMBELLISHMENTS including bold, other fonts, sizes, styles, colors are allowed within the manuscript. For photos or illustrations, we allow a "marker" e.g. "[Illustration 1]" to appear in the text that links to a page of the same name appended at the end of the manuscript with the photo or illustration.
Manuscripts that do not adhere to the above will not be read. If a manuscript is accepted for publication, all editing must adhere to the above requirements.
C. CREATE AN EMAIL TO
with the SUBJECT LINE stating YOUR LAST NAME/AIGNOS/MSP (e.g. "JANIK/AIGNOS/MSP), AND COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING SIXTEEN QUESTIONS INTO THE BODY OF THE EMAIL WITH YOUR ANSWERS:
A short Letter of Introduction (150 words maximum):
Subtitle or Byline:
Author pen name for this work, if any:
Author's actual, legal name:
Author's actual residence address:
Author's complete mailing address:
Author's contact phone number:
Author's email contact address:
Total number of words in manuscript:
Full Synposis (250 words maximum):
Brief Synopsis (50 words maximum):
Chapter-by-Chapter Synopses (2 or 3 sentence summary of each chapter):
List of ALL PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED WORKS (title, pen name, internet URL link) - INCLUDE ALL SELF-PUBLISHED WORKS:
Explain to whom and how you plan to market your work:
NOTE: AIGNOS TAKES YOUR ANSWERS TO ALL OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS SERIOUSLY IN ITS DECISION WHETHER TO PUBLISH A WORK, SO USE YOUR BEST ENGLISH, AND BE PROFESSIONAL, CLEAR, COMPLETE AND CONCISE.
D. ATTACH YOUR COMPLETED and FULLY-FORMATTED MANUSCRIPT (see above) TO THE EMAIL AND SEND TO US.
Savant/Aignos will auto-acknowledge receipt of your MSP via email. Submitted materials will not be returned.
Do not send speculative documents, partial manuscripts, or incomplete MSP's. Do not send any requests or manuscripts by postal mail, we will simply discard them.
2630 Kapiolani Blvd #1601
Send all correspondence other than submissions to
(replace "X" with "@")
NOTE: Savant/Aignos are on Hawaii Standard Time (HST) and receive phone calls on weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon Hawaii Standard Time.